Learn More about Illinois Pigs and Pork by watching this video: https://ilpork.com/file/211/AmazingPig-IL.mp4
As we head toward Easter, many enjoy a ham for Easter dinner, and that ham comes from Illinois Pork.
Read this story to learn more about pork. http://porkcdn.s3.amazonaws.com/sites/all/files/documents/Resources/04829.pdf
- Create a “Pig Placemat”
- Design a placemat for a BBQ restaurant with pork/pig facts.
- Get out a piece of paper and decorate their sheets with pictures of pigs and pig facts they’ve learned.
- Include a game and make it interactive for the “customers.”
Learn more about Pigs here!http://www.agintheclassroom.org/TeacherResources/Young%20Reader%20Fact%20Sheets/PigsYoungReader.pdf
Re-tell the story of the 3 Little Pigs….and think about Pig Barns!
- How true is the story compared to this actual farm visit?
- Why are barns important for pigs?
- STEM: design a barn that will meet the needs of pigs.
Carefully examine the following infographic. What new facts did you learn? https://www.porkcdn.com/sites/porkorg/library/2015/12/Pork_Board_6_Things_infographic.pdf
Take a trip to the farm…..pay close attention to the steps it take to enter the pig barn. Why is this important today?
Take a look at our Pork Ag Mag for more information!
Something for everyone! http://www.agintheclassroom.org/TeacherResources/AgMags/AITC283J7%20Pork%20smartboard.pdf
We know pigs don’t dance…but who can resist this from ‘Sing’?
- Why do farmers wear boot covers in the barn? (The boot covers protect the animals from bringing in disease or other illness from outside.)
- Why don’t pigs roll in the mud? (Today’s farms raise pigs in climate controlled barns. The pigs are kept clean and comfortable. )
*How is the pig barn different from what you thought it would be like?
- When did farmers start raising pigs in barns for improved animal health, comfort and safety? (About 40 years ago ~1980)
Explain how pig farmers are more efficient than before? (Pig farmers do more with less with enhanced genetics, better nutrition, improved barns and better biosecurity. They can produce more meat with fewer animals.)
* Explain how pig farms are more sustainable and what impacts that has on th